Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Homemade Italian Turkey Sausage


There is one thing that I generally don't make myself.  Italian sausage mostly because I tend to think the process is one that takes a long time if you do it on your own.  Of course if you are only mixing the meat with the spices then there isn't much to it besides perfecting your spice blend.

Sausage is one thing that we generally don't buy at the store.  Mostly because quite a lot of the brands use MSG to which our mom is allergic.  So, we avoid buying it or if we do I am making a meal that not everyone can eat.  Which most of the time I refuse to avoid because I have a love for biscuits and gravy, but that's a different kind of sausage I'll hopefully be tackling soon.  So, this recipe is a perfect solution for me.  I can still get that same flavor without the additives.  Plus using ground turkey means that my protein source is leaner and healthier.  I think it is a win-win solution.

Italian Sausage

1 pound ground turkey
2 teaspoons fennel seeds
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried sage
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

In a small saute pan, combine all spices and toast until fragrant or they feel like hot sand.  When warm, either pulse in a clean coffee grinder or mash with a mortar and pestle.

In a large bowl combine turkey and spices, working with your hands to mix spices in.  Either use immediately or wrap in plastic and freeze for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment