Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Wholesome Wednesday: Strawberry Curd

DSC00902a
I cannot tell you how much I love anything with strawberries in it.  I'm not sure if I've shared my strawberry story with y'all yet.  When I was under 4 (I know I was that young because we still lived here in Illinois) we used to go strawberry picking with family.  Both my mom's dad and I absolutely loved strawberries.  And he'd be the one to watch me while everyone else went off to pick berries.  We'd start off picking one, then eating one.  Then we'd pick one and eat two.  Then pick one and eat three.  And it just went on from there.  My family always joked that they should have weighed me on the way in and on the way out from picking berries.  The two of us definitely ate more than we picked.  :)

This story comes up a lot when strawberries are in season.  But I love them anyway I can get them.  And that's true with all berries, but strawberries are special.

Recently I saw a recipe for blackberry curd in one of my really, really old cookbooks.  I'd only ever heard of lemon curd and hadn't ever tried it.  Can't say it sounded appealing.  But berry curds are something that is right up my alley.  And I don't know why I've never come across them before because the strawberry one I made is absolutely mind blowing.  I can easily imagine using it on cupcakes, as a cake filling and on cookies.  We've been using it on English muffins, bagels and toast mostly.  Haven't been doing a lot of baking due to the hot hot weather Chicago has been seeing lately.  :(

Strawberry Curd
2 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
1/4-1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 large egg yolks
1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces

In a food processor or blender pulse the strawberries till smooth.  Use a food mill to strain out the seeds.  (Food mills are my new fave thing.  It takes no time at all to get the seeds out of berries.  If you do a lot berry purees you should definitely pick one of these up.)

In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch.  Add strawberry puree, lemon juice and egg yolks.  Whisk well.  Cook over medium heat for 7-8 minutes or until very thick, whisking constantly.

Remove from heat.  Gradually add butter, whisking until melted.  Let cool.  Place in jar and refrigerate.

See I told you it was incredibly easy.  And the taste is to die for.  It has a consistency of a cream cheese almost but such a bright strawberry flavor.  It's just yummy, take my word for it.  :)

DSC00903a

That said I may possibly have to take a break in my Wholesome Wednesday posts till the weather is more agreeable.  I have an idea for next week that I've been working on that doesn't require using heat.  Past that we'll have to see.  I love posting these but can't see heating up the whole house to do them.  I tend to eat more simply in the summer with a lot of fresh fruit and veggies and grill a lot.  If y'all are interested in grill recipes I could move that way till the weather is less sweltering.  Just let me know?

No comments:

Post a Comment