Friday, July 13, 2012

LooneySpoons: Wowie Maui Chicken



Y'all know how much I love one pot/dish dinners by now, right?  This is another wonderful one that I found in the Looneyspoons Collection Cookbook.  It's like an all in one sweet and sour chicken.  I did change a few things like the amount of chicken (I used 2 large breasts), the pineapple (I used chunks and a bigger can), the rice (I figured there was no way brown rice could skillet cook in 20 minutes) and the peppers (we keep bell peppers frozen in strips in the freezer, I just grabbed enough to make a cup).  The only caveat is my rice wasn't real tender after 20 minutes and there was more liquid in my recipe than the original.  I'm thinking maybe adding a half a cup of water would do it.

The dish was very good.  Definitely an easy replacement for sweet and sour chicken that you'd get as take-out.


Wowie Maui Chicken
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 lbs chicken breast, cubed
2 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 (20 oz) can pineapple chunks, in juice; undrained
1 1/2 cups rice (uncooked)
3/4 cup finely chopped carrots
1/2 cup each chopped red and green peppers
1/3 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 cup chopped green onions

Heat olive oil in large non stick skillet over medium-high heat.  Add chicken.  Cook and stir until chicken is lightly browned, about 5-6 minutes.

Add all remaining ingredients, except green onions.  Mix well, bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low.  Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, until rice is tender.  Add green onions during last 5 minutes of cooking time.

No comments:

Post a Comment