Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Wholesome Wednesday: Strawberry Blueberry Kiwi Green Tea Smoothie


The past couple of weeks I've been really interested in raw foods.  I actually found this book recently at the library called Ani's 15 Day Fat Blast which basically promotes a raw foods diet for about 15 days to lose about 10 pounds.  While everyone typically has a few pounds they'd like to lose I was more interested in adding more fruits and veggies to my diet.  If I lost a few pounds along the way that would be okay too.  But that wasn't my goal.

I did try to follow the diet for the first three days, but the veggie shakes were just gaggingly awful.  Blended romaine just has an unbelievable texture that makes you gag.  Total yuck.  But I found I quite like the fruit smoothies.  And after having them for 3 days straight, I also found that you don't need the spices and fats the author recommended to make them tastes great.  So I decided to try my own take on raw smoothies.  I'm pretty casual in what I throw in them.  Pretty much any fruit combos I happen to have on hand.  This morning it was blueberries, red grapes, strawberries and green tea.  The taste was good but the grape skins weren't good.

And I figure anyway I can get more fruit in my diet the better off I'll be.  These smoothies are surprisingly filling for only containing fruit and green tea.  I typically make a two cup size serving.  And its more than enough for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Strawberry Blueberry Kiwi Green Tea Smoothie
1/2 lb strawberries, cleaned and sliced
2 handfuls blueberries, rinsed
2 kiwis, peeled and halved
1/4-1/2 cup brewed green tea, cooled
4-6 ice cubes


Place all fruit in blender, top with ice and pour tea over all ingredients.  Blend on high till smooth.  Pour into cup and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment