Sunday, January 13, 2013

Whole Wheat Honey Oat Rolls

Honey, whole wheat and oats are some of my favorite things.  Separately they taste great, but mix them together in a roll and they are amazing!

I've been tinkering with this recipe, wanting to increase the whole wheat flour and oatmeal while still ending up with a tender, yummy roll.  I really think you're going to like these.  :)

I'm sorry there's only one photo, they turned out to be more popular than I thought.  That always means the recipe is a winner!

As always I used my bread machine to mix the dough.  This makes my life so much less stressful and more likely to bake bread.  If you don't have one, I highly suggest either getting one or asking for one on your local chapter of freecycle.  I've had mine about a year now and could not imagine making dough without it.

Whole Wheat Honey Oat Rolls

2 cups flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup old fashioned oatmeal
2 packages dry yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole milk
1/4 cup honey
5 tablespoons butter, divided
1 egg

Add the ingredients to your bread machine in this order: milk, egg, 4 tablespoons butter, salt, flours, oatmeal, honey and yeast.  Set your machine to the dough setting and let it run.  (This is why I absolutely love my bread machine!  I only ever use it mix dough, but it comes out perfect every single time!)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Grease a 9 x 13 inch pan.  When your bread machine is done with the bread cycle, turn out onto a floured surface.  Knead briefly to work the air bubbles out of the dough.  Divide the dough into 24 equal pieces.  Shape each piece into a ball, easiest way to do this is to pull all the edges underneath to make the pieces round.  Place in pan and set in a warm place to rise, about 30 minutes.

Bake at 375 degrees for 20-22 minutes or until rolls are golden brown.  Melt remaining tablespoon of butter and brush over rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment