Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Coconut Buttermilk + Pancake Recipe!


I know I haven't talked about it a lot, but this past summer we made the choice to eat more a flexitarian diet.  This means we try to eat vegan at least 2 meals a day.  It's not an all or nothing lifestyle.  If some days I feel like eating more protein I do.  You should always listen to what your body wants.  Breakfast is a harder meal for me.  I like my dairy for breakfast.  I like bagels with cream cheese and things like pancakes.  These aren't vegan friendly meals as I also can't have soy.

Coconut buttermilk is helping me to move towards a vegan breakfast.  Using this I can have pancakes that are a step in the vegan direction.  I still use an egg in my recipe, but you could easily sub in vinegar to make it vegan.  To me coconut buttermilk pancakes taste like the ones you'd get at a fancy restaurant.  They're rich and have a great texture.

Coconut buttermilk is incredibly easy to make.  You'll have to start it with a little regular buttermilk to get the cultures grooving in the right direction, but as you continue to make the buttermilk it gets more vegan friendly.

Another thing I should mention, coconut buttermilk is incredibly thick.  We're talking almost frosting consistency.  That's why I've added coconut milk to my pancake recipe instead of using all coconut buttermilk.

Coconut Buttermilk

2 (13.5 oz) cans full fat coconut milk
1/4 cup buttermilk

In a large bowl, whisk together coconut milk and buttermilk.  Transfer to a quart size ball jar.  Top with a square of mesh or cheesecloth and let sit undisturbed for 24 hours.  Once that time has past, you've got buttermilk.  Refrigerate until ready to use and up to 2 weeks.  Make sure to reserve 1/4 cup of the coconut buttermilk to culture your next batch.

Coconut Buttermilk Pancakes

1 egg, or 2 tablespoons vinegar
2/3 cup coconut buttermilk
1/3 cup coconut or almond milk
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

In a medium bowl whisk egg, then add coconut buttermilk, coconut milk and oil and whisk to incorporate all ingredients.

Then add rest of ingredients using the whisk, mix these in until batter still has lumps but is no longer dry.

Grease and heat a large skillet to medium and using a spoon scoop out about 1/4 cup of batter.  Wait till batter forms bubbles before flipping.  Cook until golden brown.  Recipe makes approximately 12 pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment