Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Wholesome Wednesday: Old-Fashioned Strawberry Shortcake


I've been really wanting to make a dessert in mason jars for a while now.  They're just so incredibly cute!!  And its in a jar so you can see everything that's in it and its portable.  Ummm...now I really need to calm down before I end up scaring someone.  It's probably due to all the whipped cream I just had on the strawberry shortcakes.  :)

I'm loving just about everything I'm having the urge to make out of that old Martha Meade cookbook.  The recipe actually called for bigger shortcakes, but I cut mine to fit into the jars and used two instead of one.  This allowed me to layer the shortcakes and make them seem bigger.  The rest of the recipe was easy to mix and bake.

Old-Fashioned Strawberry Shortcakes

2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup shortening
3/4 cup whole milk
Strawberries
Whipped Cream

Mix flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a medium bowl.  Cut in shortening with a pastry cutter, add whole milk and mix lightly.  Turn out onto lightly floured surface, roll 1 inch thick.  Cut with biscuit cutter (I used 1 1/2 inch).  Re-roll scraps to cut 12 rounds.  Place on greased pan and bake in a hot oven, 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

For the strawberries I cleaned and sliced 1 1/2 pounds into a medium bowl.  Added a couple of spoonfuls of sugar.  Stir and let sit at least an hour.

For the whipped cream, I made two separate batches.  The first batch, I used 1/2 cup heavy cream, 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.  Whipped till peaks form.  Second batch, 1/2 cup heavy cream and 1/2 ounce raspberry syrup.  Whipped till peaks form.

Assembly:

Place a shortbread in bottom of mason jar.  Spoon on strawberries and juice to cover.  Plop on some plain whipped cream.  Add another shortbread pushing down slightly to flatten whipped cream.  Then spoon on some strawberries and syrup.  Finally, plop on some raspberry whipped cream.

This recipe made extra shortbread, but the strawberries and whipped cream make enough for 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment