Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Jucy Lucy Burger Recipe


Months ago we saw America's Test Kitchen do a segment on these burgers which had lots of gooey cheese inside them.  :)  I did make them for one of my meals in the SoFabU Sears Grilling Photography class.

For the class, we weren't posting recipes.  I think my brain would have imploded if I'd had to worry about recipes along with all the meals I was planning and photographing at the time.  I'm very glad I took the class because my photos have majorly improved but it was a lot of work.

The Jucy Lucy burgers were really good.  I haven't made them since the class, but we'll definitely keep them in rotation.  The trick is making sure the cheese is entirely encased and sealed in the ground beef.  I had a couple of burgers which I thought were sealed, but leaked a bit.

Biting into one and getting that gooey cheese is truly amazing.  So much better than a cheeseburger.  The meat also stayed moist and tender even after handling it so much.  If you're looking for a stand-out burger, this is it!!

Jucy Lucy Burgers from Cook's Country 9/07

2 slices hearty white sandwich bread, torn into rough pieces
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 pounds 85% lean ground beef
1 slice deli American Cheese (1/2 inch thick), cut into quarters

Using a potato masher, mash bread, milk, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a large bowl until smooth.  Add beef and gently knead to combine.

Divide meat evenly into 4 equal portions.  Using half of each portion, encase cheese to form a mini burger patty.  Mold remaining half portion of meat around patty to seal edges and form a ball.  Flatten ball to form a 3/4-inch thick patty.  Transfer to plate and refrigerate 30 minutes-24 hours.

Grill over medium heat till well browned and cooked through, 6-8 minutes per side.  Transfer to plate and tent with foil, let rest 5 minutes.

This last photo is a cooled Jucy Lucy burger.  But it definitely shows how much cheese is actually in these burgers!!  Just imagine fresh from the grill...definitely juicy!!

1 comment:

  1. Just stopping over from SITS Girls -- That Juicy Lucy Burger looks SO good!

    ReplyDelete